Friday, October 24, 2008

Fashion: Art or Usability?



What is fashion supposed to be exactly? Well, I suppose it depends on who you are talking to. Personally, I would have to say that fashion can be both art and for just wearing. I would prefer that my clothes be usable instead of art...but that's just me. I don't like to call to much attention to myself. However, fashion as art on the runway is great. Avant garde looks are not for the average person to wear, they are simply to display the innovation and creativeness of the designers.


Some people just don't care. They'll wear a clean t-shirt and a pair of jeans because that's whats there. Clothes are just to cover our bodies. It doesn't matter what clothes look like as long as they don't make a person look crazy. I've seen all kinds of fashion atrocities. I once saw a lady wearing an embroidered Christmas sweater at a night club. Let me just reiterate, some people just don't care. Others, are completely opposite. They believe that fashion is a statement. Clothes aren't just for use, fashion is art and the body is a canvas. Others, the more moderate group that I consider myself a part of, look at clothes and fashion as both art and for general use. For example, if I decide to buy a jacket not only will I be buying the jacket for it to help me keep warm but I will also buy the jacket because it looks good and will be kind of like art in that I am displaying something that I think is beautiful and unique. But of course the art that I wear is not the "art" couture designers send down the runways. That is totally different.



Couture is fashion as art in its full capacity. Couture designers make the elaborate looks that only should be worn at fashion shows or in photo shoots for fashion magazines. I don't think avant garde is a look that is carried out well in everyday life. People would think you've gone mad. However, don't get me wrong, over the top fashion is beautiful and gives the world an opportunity to see fashion in a different way. Not all fashion has to be every day casual wear. That would be boring.

If a picture of a urinal is art than so is fashion!

No comments: